Wednesday, August 24, 2005

And The Beat goes on . . .

At the young age of 24, this kid right here, is content with his life. New Hampshire has given me some time to think about what I want to do and what the future will bring. Well I have come to a realization; some would say an "epiphany".

The future is the future because you don't know what is going to happen. I am a big supporter of Karma and Faith and in time everything will work out, but right now I'm scrambling to pay the bills and working temp jobs, free-lancing, and all that good stuff.

I don't think I will be in New Hampshire very much longer, I have lived here all my life and like Cheryl Crow says, "A little change will do you good" (cheesy but true). I don't know where I am going, but I know this much, I will go for it 109.67% and if I didn't I would feel like I wasn't being true to those in my life now and in the past. Pop + Gram (God rest your souls), Bud and Grandma (still kicking around in NJ), my parents, and of course my sister.

Hindsight is 20/20 and that is so true when I look back at my college years. The friends I have made, those who I keep in touch with, and those who I have let fade away into oblivion. College was the best 5 years of my life, but now, only a year out of college am I truly finding myself and what I want to do with my life.

The great thing about life is that you don't have to decide what you want to do "right now" and that you have your whole life to make that decision. I know I am rambling here, but its 12:18 in the AM and I just felt like writing something. I didn't even know it was going to be about this. Listening to Jack Johnson tends to "mellow me out" and makes me write what is on my mind.

The greatest thing about being a journalist is that you are always looking for the next story, the next job, the next article, the next movie to film, or the next interview to conduct. I realize that I'm not a working journalist right now, but I know that down the line I will be and all the hard work in college will have paid off.

When I was in school I never got a co-op in journalism. I only did internships, un-paid internships. Many ask why? The main reason is when you work for free and you write for free you get only what you put into it and nothing else. You may get a reference or a letter of recommendation, but that is just a bonus. I have a few friends from NU that I graduated with from the j-school and I keep tabs on them, finding out who is still trying to write.

I mean, god damn, it's frustrating trying to write anywhere. I finally got a couple of free-lance opportunities, and the pay is nothing ( well it's something). The great thing about that is I will be getting paid to write and that's all I want to do.

I have heard the life quote somewhere, "Find something that you love to do and figure out how to get paid to do it". Well there are many things that I love to do and hopefully I can get paid for all of them, but for right now, it's writing. Down the line, I will try and get back into radio and video editing, but for right now, I am a writer.

I will be a writer until I decide I want to be something else. After all it's my life and this is the path I have chosen.

If you are reading this and you don't know me, this is probably a little too deep for you to take in. If you are reading this and you know me, please post a comment and let me know what you think.

My current mood reminds me of the always used poem by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken. The last two lines of that poem sum up my feelings right now:

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.





No comments: